Monday, October 10, 2005

hospice

I am a hospice nurse and have days where I come home feeling like I have carried too much, and others when I come home exhilarated by the events of the day.
It is a priviledge and honor to be with people at the end, and I take it very seriously.
It is also a job, with typical job stresses, companionship with co-workers, and trying to get out on time to be with my family. I have finally gotten the message from my teenage children that there be no more "Death Talk" when I get home. I try to have funny stories, or hopeful ones. But, it being hospice, Death is kind of the point. So, my sisters and husband get those thoughts.
And, I guess you too, as it is 2am and I've been home 2 hours and they are all asleep!

1 comment:

Finn said...

Hugs and blessings on you for the job you are doing. It is more of a selfless service than most realize. It's so necessary to have the strong, caring person there, helping bridge the gap between reality and desire.

Of course we don't want the loved one to go, but going is a part of the circle. People like you make it easier in many ways, for all involved. Takes a certain kind of strength...my hat is off to you. Give yourself a BIG hug from me...*VBS*