Sunday, May 13, 2012

sewing in church

I was working on a vestment this morning in church. I like to sew during the organ and choir rehearsal before the service, and you may find me knitting during the service along side about 6 other women that I know do so.
I grew up in the Dutch Calvinist tradition where this would be frowned upon (we were not even allowed to sew at home on Sundays), but in our German Calvinist/Lutheran heritage ( United Church of Christ) church in Chicago, there has always been a more pragmatic approach. I noticed several of the elderly women crocheting or knitting when we first started coming in the early 1980s.
The vestment is a commission from the choir for the director in honor of his 20 years of service.

2 comments:

Louise SS said...

My Dad still makes comments about my sewing on Sundays. I wonder how he would react if I started knitting during service.:) But growing up with the "not working on Sundays" I still don't hang laundry on the line outside (summertime) and won't let my husband mow the lawn those days. Sunday to me is a day of not having to work so I hang my laundry in the laundry room instead... I know, same thing so why bother? Not to upset my Dad who lives down the street is one of the reasons. Is that bad? Am I a bad person? Probably, but I can live with that.
I just think there should be a difference between days. We all need a day when we don't have to feel guilty for not doing those thing that does not have to be done NOW. Whether it is Sunday or Thursday. And that is why sewing is so important - it is relaxing and fun! (even on Sundays!!!)
Louise in Sweden

Beth Dykstra Van Meeteren, EdD said...

I can remember not being allowed to cut paper on Sundays. Using a scissors was "work".