Wednesday, June 03, 2015

postage stamp progress



It is nearly finished! I haven't posted about this quilt since February. After a rapid start, it needed to be set aside due to a very busy semester. I fit in a few blocks here and there, and today completed the final two blocks. Along the way I decided to make it larger than originally planned.
It is 81 blocks, 9 by 9.
I made each block with scraps from my 1 1/2 inch scrap bin--which is greatly reduced but still has several quilts in it. The scraps include many of my mother's. The solids were also in my stash as small yardage pieces.
I sew them together in 2s, then 4s, then 8. I press to one side and nest the 8 rows together into a block.
The block is then pressed all to one side.
This pressing allows the whole quilt to have butted seams.
I put the quilt together into nine sections of nine blocks each.
Then, put these together in sections, leaving only one long seam that goes for the whole 9 block length.

I have 5 seams left to go!

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like this. Most postage stamp quilts are just confetti without any resting place. I like the solid color added to each block. If I ever get around to making mine I would like to use your idea if that is OK with you.

Vicki W said...

I agree with Wanda. The solid colors really make this one special.

Amy said...

It really looks like a party, or a ticker tape parade! You certainly deserve one after piecing this beauty.

em's scrapbag said...

Love this scrappy quilt. Agree with the others about the solids. What a great idea!

Chantal said...

Way to go Lynn. It looks terrific. Love the scrappiness on this one. Great job.

Rebecca said...

Really beautiful Lynn. It's almost like a hybrid. You have the 64-square blocks with one solid color, the grid they all make when you stand back, and the colorwash scale of the individual pieces. Great way to start my day.

Anonymous said...

I love this. You are an artist!!

Sharon