Thursday, June 30, 2016
You can read about my construction of the top here:
Fabrics include scraps from my mother and grandmothers sewing scraps along with new purchases, so 70+ years worth of sewing!
Wednesday, June 29, 2016
I used Bonnie Hunter's Bricks and Stepping Stones pattern found here:
The signature pieces were cut 3 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches.
Guests wrote sentiments and wishes.
(I did throw away one vulgar block--yeah, I am that aunt...)
You can read more about how I made the quilt here:
Finished the binding this weekend. It is ready to send off to Emilee and her Andy.
Thank you to Bonnie Hunter for sharing this great pattern.
Monday, June 27, 2016
Temecula Quilt Co. is having a sew-a-long.
Once the center medallion was completed, she has been assigning a 3 inch finished block every Friday. We are to make two versions of it. I have been making four each time as I intend to make a larger quilt. There are 76 of those little blocks finished.
I have caught up on my blocks missed while traveling. I am loving this! I could do with fewer 3/4 inch finished pieces...
Sunday, June 26, 2016
It was a very rewarding experience to be with students in a different system. Angela and I enjoyed working with each other's students and colleagues, and living with each other's families.
I gave her this quilt in appreciation.
25 patch/framed 9 patch
Made with 2 1/2 inch cut squares (finish 2 inches) and frames cut 2 1/2 by 10 1/2 and 2 1/2 by 6 1/2.
I continued with the 25 patches for a border.
I love this quilt!
Saturday, June 25, 2016
I finished my Paint Box quilt for his gift.
Details of making this quilt are at this post:
The blocks finish 4 1/2 inches.
Friday, June 24, 2016
After a spring of way too much travel (Andy to China and me to the Netherlands for work-more about that soon!) and family weddings in Connecticut and Iowa, and Seth's graduation from high school, I hope to have some serious sewing time before I start preparing for fall classes.
Lori over at Humble Quilts is doing another sew-a-long. It is a free formed medallion with a basket theme, inspired by Gwen Marston's style.
I free-cut some shapes with graph paper, then used Pellon middle weight 40 sew-in stabilizer to make faced shapes, cutting an X in the back and turning them right side out. I made some bias stems.
It is machine appliquéd with a straight stitch.
At this point it measures 18 1/2 inches. The next step theme is childhood--I'm thinking pinwheels!
You can see the other basket blocks at: